The Core Works
Nord Anglia students are exposed to a music repertoire of great works of art hand selected by Juilliard, which centres on 12 categories from different genres, cultures and historical periods. Each category is exemplified by a corresponding and iconic core work such as Ambush from Ten Sides, a traditional Chinese pipa solo, or Beethoven’s Fifth Symphony日本道三区播放区 and extension works for further exploration. Your child will study these works throughout their school career, utilising each piece to set the scene for their learning and as a result engaging deeply with the music.
日本道三区播放区The works have been carefully chosen based on their iconic quality, teachable moments and to give breadth to your child's musical learning. Your child will study these works throughout their school career to give them a deep engagement and appreciation with each piece.
日本道三区播放区Interactive activities encourage students to engage with the works and key concepts while developing connections between the pieces, as well as other subjects.
Core works include:
- The Instrument as Soloist: J.S.Bach: Cello Suite No.3 in C Major, BMV 1009
- Music for Small Ensembles: György Ligeti: 6 Bagatelles for Woodwind Quintet
- The World of Orchestra: Ludwig van Beethoven: Symphony No. 5 in C minor, Op.67
- The Concerto: Felix Mendelssohn: Violin Concerto in E Minor, Op. 64
- Improvisatory Music: Thelonious Monk: "Blue Monk"
- Music that Tells a Story: Igor Stravinsky: The Rite of Spring
- Folk Origins: Doudou N’diane Rose: Chants du Burgam (Senegal, West Africa)
- Music for Dramatic Productions: Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: Music from The Magic Flute, K. 620
- Music for Ancient Instruments: Traditional Chinese: Ambush from Ten Sides
- The Song: George Gershwin: They Can’t Take That Away from Me
- Juilliard Composer of Today: Specially selected active composer from Juilliard’s network of alumni. Current Composer: Paola Prestini